Monday, February 15, 2010

Dad's Letter, July 1972

Hi, Linda -
I received your note in my "pajama box" tonight.
While the words were very brief, the meaning was very long.
Love is a four lettered word.
Love is many things.
Love is not always apparent.
Love is durable.
Love is often concealed.
Love is sometimes obscure.
The depth of love - like water - cannot be judged by appearance - does not a puddle look as deep as a lake?
Some things which are offered to please the eye and ear are not things which please the heart and mind.
Sometimes the words that emerge from the lips are not the words that the heart cries to speak.
We sometimes hide our true feelings behind a gruffness and 'not caring' attitude because of past hurts and rejections.
You are a product of love between your mother and I. Does a hand not love the blood that flows in its veins?
You are now at an age where many choices and decisions are yours to make. Even the most simple decision made now can have a bearing on your happiness the rest of your life - make each decision with care - but with firmness.

I have learned one big thing in my life, and had I learned it 30 years earlier, I may have had a different lot in life. What I have learned is simply this: Do your earnest best at everything you do. Smile when you hurt the most. Practice the Golden Rule at all times and to everyone. Accept the things you cannot change. Respect the feelings of others. Know the difference between right and wrong and do as you must do.

Love you?

Yes - with a depth you will never understand and an endurance that will never be broken.

Love, Dad

1 comment:

  1. This is the first time I ever read this. How terrific Dad was with words. But I was blessed in that Dad could always express his love to me. It was so hard for him to express his love to his children. He felt he had to direct and keep the three of you on what he thought was the right path--this is what he thought a father should do. This was what he missed in his life. But, Oh, how very much he loved you. Thank you so much for sharing, Linda.

    ReplyDelete